INVESTING IN THE ROAD NETWORK
The City of Cape Town invests in its roads and streets all the time. There are 50 road widening and improvement projects under way across the city.
Parts of Plattekloof Road have been converted from a single carriageway to a dual carriageway (dualling), a missing link between Giel Basson Drive (M12) and Tygerberg Valley Road is being completed and parts of Sandown Road and Malibongwe Drive (M12) are also being dualled to alleviate congestion in Table View.
Kommetjie Road is being dualled between Capri Drive and Ou Kaapseweg, and Ou Kaapseweg is being dualled between Kommetjie Road and Noordhoek Road with intersection upgrades to reduce the journey times along the Kommetjie Road corridor. Walking and cycling infrastructure is also being upgraded and a transport plan for the area has been developed.
Broadway Boulevard (R44) has been dualled between Beach Road and Main Road. The construction of additional lanes and interchange improvements are ongoing along this section. The upgrades include new infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians.
In Sir Lowry’s Pass Village, a project has been co-funded by developers to improve the dual carriages as well as walking and cycling facilities. It will see the village streets become safer and more pleasant for all road users.
Jip de Jager Drive has been extended from Van Riebeeckshof Road to Tygerberg Road. Planning is under way for the dualling of:
- Jip de Jager Drive from Kommissaris Street to Van Riebeeckshof Road
- Eversdal Road between Durbanville Avenue and Fairtrees Road.
Intersection improvements are also being carried out on Durbanville Avenue.
Projects are currently in progress with the South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) to improve and extend Amandel and Saxdowns roads and widen the Bottelary Road off-ramp to the R300. Additional lanes have been added to Strand Road between the R300 and Peter Barlow Drive in partnership with SANRAL. Other projects are also under way to:
- dual Langverwacht Road between Amandel Drive and Zewenwacht Link
- extend Belhar Main Road to Stellenbosch Arterial Road
- extend Saxdowns Road from Langverwacht Road to Van Riebeeck Road.
Future improvements, which include dualling and intersection upgrades, are being explored for:
- M3 corridor
- Bosmansdam Road
- Voortrekker Road corridor
- Cape Town city bowl
- sections of Berkley Road.
Road improvements are planned or under way for:
- the intersection of Philip Kgosana Drive and Main Road
- Jakes Gerwel Drive to Eisleben Road
- the intersection of Van Riebeeck Road and Langverwacht Road.
Intersection improvements are being explored for:
- Philip Kgosana Drive and Main Road
- Van Riebeeck Road and Langverwacht Road
- M5 and Dick Burton Road
- Durbanville Avenue and Eversdal Road
- Voortrekker Road and Cannon Street.