The City of Cape Town’s Transport Directorate in partnership with Rabie Property is starting the second phase of construction to Bosmansdam Road.
Phase 1 of the project was implemented between April 2018 and July 2019 and focused on the construction of an eastbound two-lane carriageway.
A Century City developer invested approximately R40 million in the widening of Bosmansdam Road. The funds came from the development contribution which is used to fund bulk infrastructure projects. The City will now also contribute a further R20 million towards the rehabilitation of the existing road and extension of the cycle lane towards the N7 freeway.
The second phase will repair the existing westbound carriageway, which will increase its operating durability by another 15 to 20 years.
Motorists should be aware that during the upcoming work period only a single lane on a portion of the current Westbound carriageway of Bosmansdam Road will be open during construction.
Road closures on the westbound carriageway are:
- Ocean Spirit to Ratanga Road: closed from mid-November 2019 to end of January 2020
- Ratanga Road to Koeberg Road: closed from February 2020 to July 2020.
START DATE: December 2019
PLANNED END DATE: July 2020
PROJECT STATUS: Complete
INVESTMENT: R60 million (R40 million provided by private developer)
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Rehabilitation of existing westbound two-lane carriageway
- Repair of Westbound carriageway will increase its operating durability
- Extension of cycle lanes towards the N7 freeway