Motorists whose vehicle licence discs will expire on 31 October 2015 and are renewable by 21 November 2015 will not be receiving renewal notices. The City of Cape Town asks motorists to act proactively to ensure that the necessary arrangements are made and to renew discs online. :
The National Department of Transport’s (DOT) transfer of the Electronic National Traffic Information System (eNaTIS) to the Road Traffic Management Centre has also affected motorists whose licence discs expired at the end of September 2015 and are renewable by Wednesday 21 October 2015. This transfer has been the reason that motorists have not received notices to renew their annual motor vehicle licences.
Motorists are requested to check their current licence disc for the expiry date and if it is due to either:
- Renew your licence online:
- Please go to http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/eservices/Pages/default.aspx
- Under the Motor Vehicle Licensing tab, click on ‘register’ (for new applicants) or ‘login’ (for those already registered for e-Services)
- You will be prompted to complete an online registration form and will be required to upload the necessary documents
- The application process takes three working days for new applicants and two working days for applicants who are already registered
- Phone the City’s Call Centre on 0860 103 089 to find out the amount owing should you not know the licence amount due
2. Renew your licence at your nearest vehicle licensing office: Take your identity document, complete a green Application for Licencing of Motor Vehicle form (ALV form), and renew your licence at the counter.
As a rule, motorists receive a 21-day grace period in which to renew their licence discs from the end of their renewal period.
‘The City apologises for any inconvenience and is doing everything in its power to ease the discomfort of motorists. We ask that the DOT and the Road Traffic Management Centre resolve the transfer of the eNaTIS as soon as possible and that this problem is sorted out before November, which is traditionally the busiest month of the year for motor vehicle disc renewals,’ said the City’s acting Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Alderman Belinda Walker.